Turmeric is one of nature's most powerful healers. The
active ingredient in turmeric is curcumin. Tumeric has been used for
over 2500 years in India, where it was most likely first used as a dye.
The medicinal properties of this spice have been
slowly revealing themselves over the centuries. Long known for its
anti-inflammatory properties, recent research has revealed that turmeric
is a natural wonder, proving beneficial in the treatment of many
different health conditions from cancer to Alzheimer's disease.
Here are reasons to add turmeric to your diet:
1. It is a natural antiseptic and antibacterial agent,
useful in disinfecting cuts and burns.
2. When combined with cauliflower, it has shown to
prevent prostate cancer and stop the growth of existing prostate cancer.
3. Prevented breast cancer from spreading to the lungs
4. May prevent melanoma and cause existing melanoma
cells to commit suicide.
5. Reduces the risk of childhood leukemia.
6. Is a natural liver detoxifier.
7. May prevent and slow the progression of Alzheimer's
disease by removing amyloyd plaque buildup in the brain.
8. May prevent metastases from occurring in many
different forms of cancer.
9. It is a potent natural anti-inflammatory that works
as well as many anti-inflammatory drugs but without the side effects.
10. Has shown promise in slowing the progression of
multiple sclerosis in mice.
11. Is a natural painkiller and cox-2 inhibitor.
12. May aid in fat metabolism and help in weight
13. Has long been used in Chinese medicine as a
treatment for depression.
14. Because of its anti-inflammatory properties, it is
a natural treatment for arthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
should not be used by people with gallstones or bile obstruction. Though
turmeric is often used by pregnant women, it is important to consult
with a doctor before doing so as turmeric can be a uterine stimulant.